Student Journalism Awards
This program is for students of journalism, communications, graphic design, video, and social media. Work created for both print and digital publications is eligible.
Participation in the Student Journalism Awards is an important step in a student’s career. Each entry receives an evaluation by potential employers and working journalists and helps students build their resumes and create awareness of their talent.
The CMA announces winning entries names in late-April and mails award certificates in early May. The association announces recipient names during the Catholic Media Conference in June, publishes them in the Awards issue of The Catholic Journalist, and showcases them on the CMA Website.
- Students enrolled full or part-time in an accredited university or college.
- Original student work appearing in a recognized college or university publication in 2022.
- Students may enter work on their own, or
- Professors or advisers may enter work on behalf of a student.
- Open Submission Period: November 14, 2022 - January 31, 2023
- Extension Period: February 1 - 7, 2023 at 11:59 am CT
- Hard Copy Materials Due: February 7, 2023
- Payment deadline: February 10, 2023
- Submissions: $15 per entry; $20 during Extension period
- General Excellence Category - Best Writing: One Free Entry
The CMA Student Journalism Awards packet specifies eligibility requirements, submission instructions, and a full category list.
- 2023 CMA Student Journalism Award packets will be released October 17, 2022
- 2022 CMA Student Journalism Awards
- Program FAQs